Your trust is important to us and we’re committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information. The information that’s shared with us helps us to provide a great experience with uMa. We have a dedicated privacy team that’s committed to protecting all the personal information we collect and help ensure that personal information is handled properly worldwide.
Applicability to Payments
Information We Collect
There are three general categories of information we collect.
Information You Give to Us.
Information that is necessary for the use of the uMa Platform.
We ask for and collect the following personal information about you when you use the uMa Platform. This information is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and us and to allow us to comply with our legal obligations. Without it, we may not be able to provide you with all the requested services.
- Account Information. When you sign up for an uMa Account, we require certain information such as your first name, last name, and email address.
- Profile and Listing Information. To use certain features of the uMa Platform (such as creating a Listing), we may ask you to provide additional information, which may include your address, phone number, and a profile picture.
- Payment Information. To use certain features of the uMa Platform (such as creating a Listing), we may require you to provide certain financial information (like your bank account or credit card information) in order to facilitate the processing of payments (via uMa Payments).
- Communications with uMa and other Members. When you communicate with uMa or use the uMa Platform to communicate with other Members, we collect information about your communication and any information you choose to provide.
Information you choose to give us.
You may choose to provide us with additional personal information in order to obtain a better user experience when using uMa Platform. This additional information will be processed based on our legitimate interest or when applicable, your consent.
- Address Book Contact Information. You may choose to import your address book contacts or enter your contacts’ information manually to access certain features of the uMa Platform, like inviting them to use uMa.
- Other Information. You may otherwise choose to provide us information when you fill in a form, update or add information to your uMa Account, respond to surveys, post to community forums, participate in promotions, communicate with our customer care team, share your experience with us or use other features of the uMa Platform.
Information that is necessary for the use of the Payment Services.
The Payments Data Controller needs to collect the following information necessary for the adequate performance of the contract with you and to comply with applicable law (such as anti-money laundering regulations). Without it, you will not be able to use Payment Services:
- Payment Information. When you use the Payment Services, the Payments Data Controller requires certain financial information (like your bank account or credit card information) in order to process payments and comply with applicable law.
- Identity Verification and Other Information. If you are a Service provider, the Payments Data Controller may require identity verification information (such as images of your government issued ID, passport, national ID card, or driving license) or other authentication information, your date of birth, your address, email address, phone number and other information in order to verify your identity, provide the Payment Services to you, and to comply with applicable law.
Information We Automatically Collect from Your Use of the uMa Platform and Payment Services.
When you use the uMa Platform and the Payment Services, we automatically collect personal information about the services you use and how you use them. This information is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and us, to enable us to comply with legal obligations and given our legitimate interest in being able to provide and improve the functionalities of the uMa Platform and Payment Services.
- Geo-location Information. When you use certain features of the uMa Platform, we may collect information about your precise or approximate location as determined through data such as your IP address or mobile device’s GPS to offer you an improved user experience. Most mobile devices allow you to control or disable the use of location services for applications in the device’s settings menu. uMa may also collect this information even when you are not using the app if this connection is enabled through your settings or device permissions.
- Log Data and Device Information. We automatically collect log data and device information when you access and use the uMa Platform, even if you have not created an uMa Account or logged in. That information includes, among other things: details about how you’ve used the uMa Platform (including if you clicked on links to third party applications), IP address, access dates and times, hardware and software information, device information, device event information, unique identifiers, crash data, cookie data, and the pages you’ve viewed or engaged with before or after using the uMa Platform.
- Do Not Track Signals. While you may disable the usage of cookies through your browser settings, the uMa Platform currently does not respond to a “Do Not Track” signal in the HTTP header from your browser or mobile application due to lack of standardization regarding how that signal should be interpreted.
- Payment Transaction Information. uMa Payments collects information related to your payment transactions through the uMa Platform, including the payment instrument used, date and time, payment amount, payment instrument expiration date and billing postcode, email address, IBAN information, your address and other related transaction details. This information is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and uMa Payments and to allow the provision of the Payment Services.
How We Use Information We Collect
We may use, store, and process personal information to (1) provide, understand, improve, and develop the uMa Platform, (2) create and maintain a trusted and safer environment (such as to comply with our legal obligations and ensure compliance with uMa Policies) and (3) provide, personalize, measure, and improve our advertising and marketing.
Provide, Improve, and Develop the uMa Platform. We may use the personal information to provide, improve, and develop the uMa Platform such as to:
- enable you to access and use the uMa Platform,
- enable you to communicate with other Members,
- operate, protect, improve, and optimize the uMa Platform and experience, such as by performing analytics and conducting research,
- provide customer service,
- send you service or support messages, updates, security alerts, and account notifications,
- if you provide us with your contacts’ information, we may process this information: (i) to facilitate your referral invitations, (ii) send your requests for references, (iii) for fraud detection and prevention, and (iv) for any purpose you authorize at the time of collection,
- to operate, protect, improve, and optimize the uMa Platform and experience, and personalize and customize your experience (such as making Listing suggestions, ranking search results), and facilitate claims with our Service provider Guarantee, Service provider Protection Insurance, Experience Protection Insurance or other similar listing protection programs, we conduct profiling based on your interactions with the uMa Platform, your search and reservation history, your profile information and preferences, and other content you submit to the uMa Platform, and
- enable your use of our enterprise products.
We process this personal information for these purposes given our legitimate interest in improving the uMa Platform and our Members’ experience with it, and where it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract with you.
Create and Maintain a Trusted and Safer Environment. We may use the personal information to create and maintain a trusted and safer environment such as to:
- detect and prevent fraud, spam, abuse, security incidents, and other harmful activity,
- conduct security investigations and risk assessments,
- verify or authenticate information or identifications provided by you (such as to verify your Accommodation address or compare your identification photo to another photo you provide),
- conduct checks against databases and other information sources, including background or police checks, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and with your consent where required,
- comply with our legal obligations,
- Resolve any disputes with any of our Members and enforce our agreements with third parties,
- enforce our Terms of Service and other policies, and
- in connection with the activities above, we may conduct profiling based on your interactions with the uMa Platform, your profile information and other content you submit to the uMa Platform, and information obtained from third parties. In limited cases, automated processes may restrict or suspend access to the uMa Platform if such processes detect activity that we think poses a safety or other risk to the uMa Platform, our community, or third parties. If you challenge the decision based on the automated process, please contact us as provided in the Contact Us section below.
Sharing & Disclosure
Sharing between Members.
To help facilitate listings or other interactions between Members, we may need to share certain information, including personal information, with other Members, as it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and us, as follows:
- When you as a consumer submit a cooking request, certain information about you is shared with the service provider, if applicable), including your profile, full name, the full name of any additional information you agree to share. When your reservation is confirmed, we will disclose additional information to assist with coordinating the reservation, like your phone number.
Profiles, Listings, and other Public Information.
The uMa Platform lets you publish information, including personal information that is visible to the general public. For example:
- Parts of your public profile page, such as your first name, your description, and city, are publicly visible to others.
- Listing pages are publicly visible and include information such as the Accommodation or Experience’s approximate location (neighborhood and city) or precise location (where you have provided your consent), Listing description, calendar availability, your public profile photo, aggregated demand information (like page views over a period of time), and any additional information you choose to share.
- After completing a reservation, Buyers and Service providers may write Reviews and rate each other. Reviews and Ratings are a part of your public profile page and may also be surfaced elsewhere on the uMa Platform (such as the Listing page).
- If you submit content in a community or discussion forum, blog or social media post, or use a similar feature on the uMa Platform, that content is publicly visible.
You may exercise any of the rights described in this section before your applicable uMa Data Controller and Payments Data Controller by sending an email to dpo@uMaCooks.com. Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity and request before taking further action on your request.
Managing Your Information.
You may access and update some of your information through your Account settings. If you have chosen to connect your uMa Account to a third-party application, like Facebook or Google, you can change your settings and remove permission for the app by changing your Account settings. You are responsible for keeping your personal information up-to-date.
Rectification of Inaccurate or Incomplete Information.
You have the right to ask us to correct inaccurate or incomplete personal information about you (and which you cannot update yourself within your uMa Account).
Data Access and Portability.
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to request copies of your personal information held by us. You may also be entitled to request copies of personal information that you have provided to us in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format and/or request us to transmit this information to another service provider (where technically feasible).
Data Retention and Erasure.
We generally retain your personal information for as long as is necessary for the performance of the contract between you and us and to comply with our legal obligations. In certain jurisdictions, you can request to have all your personal information deleted entirely." Please note that if you request the erasure of your personal information:
- We may retain some of your personal information as necessary for our legitimate business interests, such as fraud detection and prevention and enhancing safety. For example, if we suspend an uMa Account for fraud or safety reasons, we may retain certain information from that uMa Account to prevent that Member from opening a new uMa Account in the future.
- We may retain and use your personal information to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations. For example, uMa and uMa Payments may keep some of your information for tax, legal reporting and auditing obligations.
- Information you have shared with others (e.g., Reviews, forum postings) may continue to be publicly visible on the uMa Platform, even after your uMa Account is cancelled. However, attribution of such information to you will be removed. Additionally, some copies of your information (e.g., log records) may remain in our database, but are disassociated from personal identifiers.
- Because we maintain the uMa Platform to protect from accidental or malicious loss and destruction, residual copies of your personal information may not be removed from our backup systems for a limited period of time.
Withdrawing Consent and Restriction of Processing.
If we are processing your personal information based on your consent you may withdraw your consent at any time by changing your Account settings or by sending a communication to uMa specifying which consent you are withdrawing. Please note that the withdrawal of your consent does not affect the lawfulness of any processing activities based on such consent before its withdrawal. Additionally, in some jurisdictions, applicable law may give you the right to limit the ways in which we use your personal information, in particular where (i) you contest the accuracy of your personal information; (ii) the processing is unlawful and you oppose the erasure of your personal information; (iii) we no longer need your personal information for the purposes of the processing, but you require the information for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims; or (iv) you have objected to the processing pursuant to Section 6.6 and pending the verification whether the legitimate grounds of uMa override your own.
Objection to Processing.
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to require uMa and uMa Payments not to process your personal information for certain specific purposes (including profiling) where such processing is based on legitimate interest. If you object to such processing uMa and/or uMa Payments will no longer process your personal information for these purposes unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for such processing or such processing is required for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
Where your personal information is processed for direct marketing purposes, you may, at any time ask uMa to cease processing your data for these direct marketing purposes by sending an e-mail to opt-
We are continuously implementing and updating administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help protect your information against unauthorized access, loss, destruction, or alteration. Some of the safeguards we use to protect your information are firewalls and data encryption, and information access controls. If you know or have reason to believe that your uMa Account credentials have been lost, stolen, misappropriated, or otherwise compromised or in case of any actual or suspected unauthorized use of your uMa Account, please contact us at the following address: uMa Service, Inc. 4790 Irvine Blvd, Ste 105/224, Irvine, CA 92620. Telephone +1 (833) 862-2665, Email: info@uMaCooks.com
Except as otherwise provided in this User Agreement, if any provision of this User Agreement is held to be invalid, void or for any reason unenforceable, such provision shall be struck out and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of the remaining provisions. In our sole discretion, we may assign this User Agreement, and in such event, we will post notice on www.uMaCooks.com.
Headings are for reference purposes only and do not limit the scope or extent of such Section. Our failure to act with respect to a breach by you or others does not waive our right to act with respect to subsequent or similar breaches. We do not guarantee we will take action against all breaches of this User Agreement.
We may amend this User Agreement at any time by posting the amended terms on www.uMaCooks.com. Our right to amend the User Agreement includes the right to modify, add to, or remove terms in the User Agreement. We will provide you 30 days' notice by posting the amended terms. Additionally, we will notify you through the uMa Message Center and/or by email. Your continued access or use of our Services constitutes your acceptance of the amended terms. We may also ask you to acknowledge your acceptance of the User Agreement through an electronic click-through. This User Agreement may not otherwise be amended except through mutual agreement by you and an uMa representative who intends to amend this User Agreement and is duly authorized to agree to such an amendment.
The policies and terms posted on our Services may be changed from time to time. Changes take effect when we post them on the uMa Service.
If you create or use an account on behalf of a business entity, you represent that you are authorized to act on behalf of such business and bind the business to this User Agreement. Such account is owned and controlled by the business entity. No agency, partnership, joint venture, employee-employer or franchiser-franchisee relationship is intended or created by this User Agreement.
The User Agreement and all terms and polices posted through our Services set forth the entire understanding and agreement between you and uMa, and supersede all prior understandings and agreements of the parties.
The following Sections survive any termination of this User Agreement: Fees, Content, Disclaimer of Warranties; Limitation of Liability; Release, Indemnity, Legal Disputes, and General.
If you are a California resident, in accordance with Cal. Civ. Code §1789.3, you may report complaints to the Complaint Assistance Unit of the Division of Consumer Services of the California Department of Consumer Affairs by contacting them in writing at 400 R Street, Sacramento, CA 95814, or contact us directly by telephone at (833) 862-2665.
Pursuant to 815 ILCS 414/1.5(c), for transactions involving tickets to events in Illinois, consumers and service providers may elect to submit complaints against one another to the American Arbitration Association ("AAA") under its rules and procedures. The AAA's rules are available at www.adr.org. Such complaints shall be decided by an independent arbitrator in accordance with this User Agreement. Consumers and service providers further agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the State of Illinois for complaints involving a ticketed event held in Illinois.
Copyright © 2017-2022 uMa Cooks, An uMa Service, Inc. Company. All Rights Reserved. User Terms and Conditions